Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Culinary success #2 for the week

When we got married, my sister gave me one of the best cookbooks ever. Written by Leanne Ely, Saving Dinner has probably been the cookbook I've reached for most for the last 6 years.
http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Dinner-Recipes-Shopping-Family/dp/0345464869#_
She lays out week by week meal plans and grocery lists for you to follow. I've worked through her whole recipe book. Fabulous by the way. Since doing so I've become an avid meal planner, I've had to switch it up a bit though based on what meat we raise, what is locally easy to get. She gave me the tools to do that though, and for that I will be forever grateful to both my sister for the wonderful cookbook, and Leanne Ely for writing it. She's also got a great website http://savingdinner.com/
Here's my plug for meal planning...it completely negates the "crap what in the heck are we going to eat" syndrome I used to go through every day at 3:30ish. It saves money, time, and headaches.


Spicy Honey-Glazed Chicken
1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate (I've used 1/4 cup actual orange pulp smashed up)
2 cloves garlic pressed
1/8-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
mix this in a bowl and we'll use it in a few minutes

brown on both sides in
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp olive oil
4-6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I slice mine a bit thinner just for the kids sake and cooking time's sake)
salt and pepper to taste

When they're browned add the honey, orange mixture to the skillet and cook thoroughly turning to coat the chicken
Place the chicken on a plate and add to the honey mixture

chopped cilantro and chopped green onions (however much you like really, I love cilantro and could eat it by the bunch)
stir it around and spoon over the chicken
I served it over brown rice
mmmmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment